Monday, April 21, 2014

Runner's High

I have had some really excellent runs lately. Last Friday, I crushed my four-mile run! I was pretty excited about this because it was the longest I have run continuously for since I started training earlier this month. It felt really good. Part of the motivation for this run was that I was leaving town as soon as I got back. I managed to hotfoot the whole way at a 12 mile pace (average). Leaves me feeling good about my first 5K this weekend.

Today I did a 2.5 mile run at a bit of a quicker pace. I picked up my running partner about a third of a mile in which increased my time a bit. However, he is 6 feet tall and keeping up with him is tricky. Even still, not too much of a push on this run. No major hills or anything. I think I am at the point now I can start working in some intervals and hill runs. Yay! Fun stuff.

I hit the perfect euphoria on my Friday run. It doesn't happen often but when it does the results are transcendental. Everything synchronizes, breath evens, body becomes mechanical and brain just floods with happy endorphins. Its the allusive "runners high" that everyone chases.

No comments:

Post a Comment