Thursday, May 1, 2014

Grande Ronde Rehab Run 5K

Last Wednesday I ran my first 5K of the season!

I went to bed kind of nervous. Last year when I tackled this race, I had been running since January. I felt like I had a lot more miles under my feet beforehand. This year, because of my school and work schedule, I have not been nearly as dedicated. I have really just been getting back into the swing of things since the first of April.

I have noticed though that even after six months of sedentary laziness that my body is still way more in shape than it was last year at this time with four-times the training. It is pretty remarkable. I have been pushing myself, that is for sure. Also, I have a better sense of what kinds of training I need to be doing and how much of it, something I did not have last year.

Anyway, so back to the race. It was a fun run so there were all kinds of people there. That is what I love about 5K races here in La Grande. Things started out a bit bumpy. I felt winded early despite having taken a rest day beforehand. Then around the second mile things evened out and I hit my stride. Of course at the end of mile two there is the dreaded 6th Street Hill.

I hate the 6th Street hill. Fuck that thing! When I was going to college I walked up it every day. It is so hard to make it up that hill walking without feeling winded, let alone trying to tackle it during a race! Fortunately, it is not the last thing you encounter on the run and the last mile is mostly flat so there is some recovery time.

I rolled through the finish line in 30:13 which beat last year's time by 27 seconds. I was pretty pleased because I had wanted to beat my time but I was not sure if it would be possible.

So this week is mostly prep for my next race May 10th. Based this run I am pretty confident that I can PR this year. Huzzah!

No comments:

Post a Comment